Chances are that the word ‘meditation’ conjures images of a bearded man sitting in a blissful reverie, cross-legged high up on a mountain top…very idyllic but what place does the age-old technique realistically have in today’s time-poor society?
“Meditation is great for increasing mental clarity and performance. We meet very few stereotypical wise men and there definitely aren’t any mountains here!” says Liz Livermore, Natural Therapies Manager. “The guests who attend our meditation sessions are just like you and I – they are involved in life and work and are simply seeking more serenity and calm in their lives”
With the hectic pace and demands of modern life, it can feel like there is just not enough time in the day to get everything done. Such stress and tiredness will make you unhappy, impatient and frustrated, and can affect your health. Meditation can help tune out the static of a hectic day and help focus your attention on the tasks at hand.
A simple morning meditation routine can result in a much more productive day. It doesn’t require a huge time commitment but you do probably need to get up around 30 minutes earlier than usual – meditating when you’re rushed for time is pointless.
- Find a comfortable position.
- Focus on your breathing – counting your inhalations and exhalations is a good way to clear the clutter from your mind. Keep your back straight and pay attention to your abdominal muscles as you breathe.
- After about 15 minutes you will start to sense that you enter a peaceful reverie.
- Slowly start thinking about the approaching tasks in your workday. What is your most important priority? Once you've established it, move onto other goals.
- Once you've made a mental checklist, begin to think about the best way to go about each task; concentrate on maximising efficiency and reducing ineffective work habits.
- Get up, get a pen and paper and make a list.
You'll find this process anxiety-free. Better still, identifying priorities will be simpler than usual and you are much more likely to accomplish more in your workday!
Cedar Falls Health Farm offers meditation workshops as part of our daily activity schedule as well as private classes. Prices start from £100 for a 1hr 15min guided session; call our Treatment Advice Line on01823 433904 for further information.